Great job and idea for the future

Apr 17, 2009 at 1:43 AM
I'm impressed with Sculpture, great concept and great integration with Visual Studio.
I've had a very similar idea in my head for a long time and never got the chance to implement it yet, until I found Sculpture, which could be
a great start.

Why is my idea similar? Well, basically it comes from this: Why, whatever code is generated, should it be generated ONLY from an Entity Model?
Why can't it be generated starting from any user-defined model?

I will give you an example: Sculpture includes UI CRUD templates for various technlologies, which is great, but there's
a limit: they only generate CRUD forms, pages, views, etc. according to the Entity Model, because that's all they can generate.

But what if I want to generate other stuff using the same concept?
The model against which templates are run could vary according to specific scenarios, and not be limited to an Entity Model.

For example, let's say I want to generate a website without a database, or maybe it does have a database but not all pages
work with the database. I could design the structure of my website as a "Website Model" and generate a set of views, controllers, etc. from that model.

To put all this into perspective:
Right now you define an Entity and generate Entity classes, list Views and edit Views and what not.
Why can't we take all this one step further and let's day define a WebPage (with properties such as Title, IncludesNavigationMenu, DefaultSkin, PageType [2Col|3Col] etc etc) and generate simply the page according to the defined settings?

The Entity Model could also be combined with this 'other' model(s) to generate almost anything really.

I hope I made myself clear.. :-)
What do you think?

Coordinator
Apr 26, 2009 at 12:30 PM
Hi zulucoder,
Sorry for being late while answer but we are so busy with Sculpture 2.

"But what if I want to generate other stuff using the same concept?
The model against which templates are run could vary according to specific scenarios, and not be limited to an Entity Model.

For example, let's say I want to generate a website without a database, or maybe it does have a database but not all pages
work with the database. I could design the structure of my website as a "Website Model" and generate a set of views, controllers, etc. from that model."

This is exactly what Sculpture 2 intend, with Sculpture 2 you can model your views and your controllers and more and more ...

Within one month you will download a beta version of Sculpture 2.

Thank you

Negm