Generate all

Jan 9, 2009 at 12:37 PM
As a consideration, perhaps for a future build, an option to generate all or generate for a single entity will prove more productive, especially where incremental development processes are envolved, a bit like the "Class Builder" also here on codeplex. Perhaps the implementation on the entity property not to generate again, this will save regenerating the entire application (which in my test environment is massive... 150+ tables).. Just a thought for now...
Coordinator
Jan 9, 2009 at 8:09 PM
Hi Gdr4321,
Sure we plan for this, Sculpture 2.0 investigation started and we think in the generation process in two ways (still does not decided yet which to use):
1. Take the option for the user to generate all the model elements or select what he wants to generate.
2. Auto mark the changed elements in the model (after the last generation) and generate the related templates only (the problem in this is how to determine the templates affected by the changed entity where you can refer to any entity in any template).

In the other hand, am very curious about your impression while using Sculpture with this environment, what is the benefits you get?, drawbacks?, wishes in the next version?, this is will be very helpful in our investigations in Sculpture 2.0.
Thanks.
Negm.
Jan 10, 2009 at 12:19 PM
Edited Jan 10, 2009 at 12:32 PM
No problem Negm,

I will post as I find issues, most I have worked around as I found them, however, I do not have my dev pc running right now thus a beginners list off the top of my head,

On the Entities, IndexOf(Int32 id){... when you have a table with multiple column primary keys the system tries to generate two Indexof methods( of which one is partialy rendered) as apposed to IndexOf(Int32 id_1, Int32 Id_2){...  and then compare the entities i.e.
        foreach( Object o in Object_o_List)
        {
            if ((o.Pk_Col_1 = Id_1) && (o.Pk_Col_2 = Id_2))
                {
                    return o;
                }
        }

I need to check my test project but there was an issue reading a View, or rather the interpretation of the view, it may be a setting I've missed, but the system generated an Insert/Update/Delete method for the view, also a problem with the identity column .. cant remember right now, I will get back to you on that.

And now after all that I've just gone blank... weekends do that!

I will post more when I am back at the grind stone.

...Edit post

I had a flash back... I figured out how I broke the first demo's I ran, it relates to the post in Issues.."Sculpture Kills Dev Env",

I have an integration application that sits between a Sage Evolution DB and my own apps DB, I tried to add another Sculpture designer that linked through to sage and boom, it all bombed out, I think its due to the fact that the second designer should have its own set of projects, yet again I have not delved into this sufficiently at this stage nor looked at your code to determine the cause, but will in due course.
...End Edit Post

Regards

George

Feb 3, 2009 at 11:05 AM
Hi Negm,

In line with previous discussions, I have resolved the following. Sculpture does not generate XXXServiceClient.cs, this is due to the SvcUtil.exe path not being in the environment variables, on my pc the following path applies... "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\bin", I added this path to Environment Variables and all is fully functional. This was the major issue I was having with Sculpture, and now for my wish list...

1. More flexibility with UI forms/controls, master/detail etc.
2. Never overwrite custom code region on existing code
3. Re Generate a single layer i.e. data access only - We may have changed the mold or simply our design and only want to renew a single layer of the app
4. As per the original post, a Generate function for a single entity.
5. A flag to stipulate not to regenerate an individual entity.

And for now I think thats about that.

Looking forward to your next release.

George
Coordinator
Feb 5, 2009 at 11:20 AM
thanks george for you invaluable feed back we will take you comments on our mind while we design the next version of Sculpture 2.0 (Unfortunately no time in 1.0 Final). but beleive that you will see more than you expect in the near future.
Thanks again, any other feed back is totally appreciated.
Negm